Whether it’s Super Bowl, basketball game or a party you host, this Blue corn nachos with mango salsa recipe will be the star of the event.
In this nachos recipe, we opted for blue corn tortilla chips. According to WebMD, blue corn tortillas have less starch than yellow corn ones, lower glycemic index, and more protein.
On the other hand, the team Go Ask Alice! of Columbia University suggests that frying the tortillas stripes them from their antioxidants, though they are still more nutritious than yellow corn tortillas.
Our mango salsa recipe is different than the classic salsa you find in the store. It has a sweet taste with a hint of caramel. Cilantro gives the salsa a complex, aromatic flavor that pairs well with the mango.
Blue Corn Nachos With Mango Salsa
- Small pot
- Vegetable knife
- Mixing bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cubed sweet onion
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp mild chunky salsa
- 1 bag blue corn tortilla chips
- salt to taste
- Italian herb stir-in paste (optional)
- Start with the caramelized onion first. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the small pot, set the stove's temperature to medium-high. Add cubed sweet onion and mix it with one tablespoon of demerara sugar.
- Sauteé the onion for about 10 minutes while stirring regularly until the onion's sugar bonds with demerara and turns into light brown caramel.
- Turn off the stove, and remove the pot from heat. Add cubed tomato and stir. Let the blend cool down.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cubed mango, avocado, one tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, three tablespoons of salsa and salt to taste.
- Add the onion-tomato blend from the pot and serve the sweet salsa with blue corn tortilla chips.
- Before serving the salsa, we lined the plate with Italian herb stir-in paste, it gave the salsa deeper taste.
Do you like cilantro? Find us on social media and let us know!