The Strawberry Thyme, one of the signature craft cocktails of Oneida Lake Rod & Gun Club, represents a refreshing summer cocktail. The author of the cocktail is the bar owner himself, who has years of bartending experience from working in a wide variety of bars and restaurants.
The development of the Strawberry Thyme cocktail recipe took weeks. The owner tested different types of alcohol, mainly vodka and gin, with a goal to find the best cocktail ingredients that match the aromatic character of the thyme. Finding the perfect type of fruit, strawberries, in this case, as well as the flavor of bitters and the right sirup, led to the creation of Strawberry Thyme Cocktail.
Strawberry Thyme Step By Step
- Start with cutting the strawberries into smaller pieces. For the lemon twist garnish inside of the glass, cut the rind from top to bottom in thin stripes. If you want to achieve more spaghetti-looking lemon peel, use a potato peeler.
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and club soda to frost.
- Crush ice in an ice crusher. From a separate batch of crushed ice make an ice nest and set aside. If you don't know how to make an ice nest, you can watch our video tutorial.
- Empty the rocks glass and start filling it with the crushed ice. While adding the ice, twist the lemon peel in the glass to a spiral. Fill the glass to top with crushed ice.
- Add ice and a thyme sprig to the mixer and shake well.
- Double strain over crushed ice in a rocks glass.
- Season the glass with a thyme sprig. The proper way to do it is to slap the thyme sprig in your palms to release the aromas and stroke the rim of the glass with the sprig.
- Add the thyme sprig for garnish.
- Top with crushed ice.
- Place ice nest on top and place a strawberry lightly coated with caster sugar into the nest.
- Serve with a short straw.
The Strawberry Thyme Cocktail Recipe is the courtesy of Oneida Lake Rod & Gun Club.